Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Why Ezra Alan?

Ezra's name is of Hebrew origin and means "helper". He's a pretty cool Bible character. He was a Jewish priest, writer, and teacher. He probably wrote the Old Testament books of Ezra, Nehemiah, and 1 and 2 Chronicles. He was very faithful and had a gift for bringing people back to God. Plus we just think the name sounds cool.

Alan is a little comical Smith family tradition. Drew's dad (middle name) was supposed to be Allen, named after a relative. His mom spelled it wrong on the birth certificate - Alan. They fixed it when they named Drew's brother, Philip Allen. Now we are naming him with the "incorrect" spelling, after Drew's dad. If this sounds complicated, we'll just say we named him Alan because it means "handsome and cheerful", which of course he is. :)

2 comments:

  1. He's absolutely beautiful- you two have a gorgeous family! I'm glad that things went so smoothly for you and the baby... enjoy them while they're still cute and don't understand sarcasm ;)

    love you all and think of you often :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for y'all!! Ezra is so precious, and your family looks perfect! I can't believe it's been so long since we've seen each other, but I hope we can get together sometime before the babies are all grown up!

    ReplyDelete